Accidents Happen But Insurance Companies are Created
I have always enjoyed reading, watching, and listening to various recounts of historical information on a wide range of topics. Wikipedia is a scary resource given the ease of access and also in creating of the history online. However, for broad strokes and a general overview it has proven quite resourceful.
- Did you know that insurance has been around in some form since humans have gathered together in communities, or societies?
- The form of insurance as we know it culminated as a result of the mercantile trade along treacherous rivers and oceans where the chance of loss was great, thus if a merchant received a loan on the shipment they would pay the lender additional monies to cancel the loan if the shipment was lost or stolen.
- Did you know the first insurance company in America was created here in Charleston, South Carolina?
I won’t bore you anymore with history but just as we have advanced as humans, so to have our societies (at least in most parts of the world), and thus our businesses, or economies.
As stated in one of many lessons learned in Sun Tzu’s, Art of War:
It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperilled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperilled in every single battle.
Therefore, I try to learn as much as I can about insurance companies and convey that knowledge the best I can to clients that come in with questions. Those questions mainly consist of:
- trying to understand how their insurance company can treat them so poorly after they have religiously paid their premiums without ever having an insurance claim;
- trying to understand how the insurance company of the negligent, ignorant, or omitting party, will not provide them a fair amount for the injuries, troubles, and ordeals they have experienced through no fault of their own; and/or
- why the insurance company will not call them back or appreciate what they have had to experience and instead treats them disrespectfully or with disdain.
Well, it is very simple. It’s about money. The money insurance companies want to save by minimizing the payout on your injury, property, and/or life insurance claim. Simply stated insurance companies make money two ways:
- Through underwriting, the process by which insurers select the risks to insure and decide how much in premiums to charge for accepting those risks;
- By investingthe premiums they collect from insured parties.
The whole insurance business model is summed up succinctly as such:
to collect more in premium and investment income than is paid out in losses
Your injury, or insurance, claim is the loss being referred to above. What the at fault party’s insurance company pays you cuts directly into their bottom line and therefore the less they can get out of paying your claim, the more they can invest in those really complicated structured asset backed securities, or CDO’s. You remember the recession was caused by ____? Greed.
And that greed can work both ways, on your extreme valuation or consideration of the fair amount to be paid and the insurance company’s extremely low valuation of your claim-regardless of facts. Thankfully, advocates and plaintiffs’ attorneys exist to assist you in this eternal struggle of good vs evil. If you had to pay a plaintiff’s attorney the hourly wage the insurance company pays the defense attorneys, or advocates, I doubt you would ever be able to fight a fair battle.
Again we learn from Sun Tzu’s, Art of War:
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy’s strategy.
Please consider disrupting the strategy of insurance companies to make profit off of your injuries by low balling, denying, delaying, and defending against what you know is wrong. Just because insurance coverage has almost been made mandatory doesnt mean those same insurance companies have to make millions in profits off of your backs. Rise up and fight, now is your time!